Candy Cane Holiday Twix Bars
This is officially one of my most favorite recipes that I’ve ever made! Oh My Santa! If you love candy cane or peppermint in general then these are a must-make this holiday season. And a little pro-tip for you: stock up on candy canes so you can make a few batches before next Christmas.
You can see my pumpkin Twix recipes HERE and my original Twix recipes HERE. Both of those recipes are vegan, gluten free and paleo. While this Candy Cane Twix recipe is gluten free and vegan, it’s “paleo-ish” because the candy canes do have cane sugar.
Let’s get to it!
2/3 cup coconut flour
1/3 teaspoon sea salt
3 Tablespoons maple syrup
1/3 cup coconut oil (solid)
Peppermint “Caramel” (Middle)
1/2 cup creamy cashew butter
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 tsp peppermint extract
2 finely crushed candy canes
1/3 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 Tablespoon maple syrup
1 finely crushed candy cane to sprinkle on top
- Set your oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together the solid coconut oil with the maple syrup. Add in coconut flour and sea salt and mix until a ball forms. Make sure to press out any of the coconut clumps along the way. You can use your hands, a fork or whatever is easiest for you.
- Line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper. Press the dough into the pan until it is pretty even. If you are OCD and super TYPE A like I am, you can roll it out between two pieces of parchment paper and then fit it in the square pan. I have done this both ways - pressing the dough in with my hands and rolling it out. I like to roll it out but both work and both taste delicious.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes until it is barely golden around the edges. Allow to fully cool before adding middle layer.
- Mix the cashew butter with the maple syrup and peppermint extract until you are left with a bowl of creamy filling that is so good you will keep on tasting it and tasting it. Mix in crushed candy cane pieces. It will be thick but spreadable.
- When the shortbread has cooled completely, pour and spread the filling on the shortbread. Place it in the refrigerator for about 25 minutes.
- (Do not make the chocolate ahead. Wait until ready to pour chocolate on top.) Mix the melted coconut oil with the cocoa powder and maple syrup. Pour the chocolate over the cooled caramel and make sure it covers the whole thing. Sprinkle with crushed candy cane. Place back in the refrigerator for another 25 minutes or until the chocolate has set
- Once cooled, cut down the middle and then slice the Twix sized slices in each half. Store Twix bars the refrigerator.