6 Things I Learned Writing & Self Publishing A Cookbook -- Spilling The TEA!
I want to share some secret things with you about writing a cookbook. First of all, thank you to everyone who helped me sell out the first run of EAT REAL FOOD. (If you're reading this around this blog's publish date then I'm currently waiting for the next delivery of books to send out.) My new book is available HERE. Use code KRYSTEN at checkout.
Even if you're not writing a book or don't plan to EVER go down that path, you still might benefit from this list below... And if you're planning on writing a book, then I hope this will help you in some way. The fact of the matter is there are positives and negatives to self publishing and going with a publishing company. You will have to decide what is most important to you and maybe I can do a blog post specifically on that later. Feel free to comment below or send me an email (or DM on instagram) if you have any questions. I'm happy to answer anything for you.
In case you don't know... I AM SO HAPPY WITH HOW MY BOOK TURNED OUT!
1) It feels AMAZING to have full control of every single aspect of my book. From layout, to cover, design, recipes etc — I’ve had my hand in everything. I’ve done the hokey pokey put my whole-self in & so much more. All the credits say my name I don’t say that to BRAG or for PRAISE but because I’M SO PROUD of this & what I’ve done. I think we should NORMALIZE being proud of our own accomplishments! It’s okay to celebrate our wins!
2) It’s a lot of work. A LOT of work. Having your hand in ALL THINGS means wearing many hats & finding balance between the hats & it’s not always easy. Sleepless nights, random expenses, frustration, tears etc. I knew it would take a lot of work but whatever I thought it would be, it was more. That’s okay! I’m not afraid of hard work but I learned a lot for next time.
3) It will take longer than you think. If you think it will take X months, it will take longer. I don’t like to half-ass anything so just when I thought I was done, I wasn’t. Just when I thought XYZ was about to happen, ABCDEFG happened instead. But, if you want it done right — DON’T RUSH THE PROCESS & don’t rush the timing.
4) I wanted to quit a few times. When things weren’t working, losing winter daylight for photos (UGH!) or spending hours choosing fonts (true story). I wanted to just choose Times New Roman & move on. (Full disclosure: I love the fonts used— it was the last that I found hah - of course) I wanted to throw in the towel. I’m not embarrassed to say that at all because IT’S REAL LIFE. The REAL point in this is that I DIDN’T QUIT! Wanting to quit is one thing, pushing through the pain, tears, stress… that’s when the MAGIC HAPPENS.
5) I’m happy to be done & shipping books — yes, from writing to editing to photos to shipping — I’m doing it all & guess what … see number 5. I'm also thanking each person BY NAME as I seal each envelope and print each shipping label. I am so grateful for each of you who have purchased a copy. (order a book here)
6) I would do it all again in a heartbeat!